Burning Man is shaped around the 10 Principles, one of which being Radical Inclusion. Yet, this event can seem somewhat daunting for someone who has never been. We want you to know that being a first-timer does not make you an outsider. We welcome new participants with open arms, and encourage you to get involved in the event. Be sure to check out the What to Bring page as well.
Here are some things you should know going in:
1. Bring a trash bag! Another of the 10 Principles is Leave No Trace, which means we pick up after ourselves. Our goal is to leave the basin in even better shape than we found it. And there are No Trashcans at this event. It is a pack-it-in, pack-it-out event, which means you will need to leave with everything you brought (except the gifts you give your new friends!) If you smoke, we recommend bringing something like a metal Altoids tin to store cigarette butts in, as they tend to fall out of pockets and litter the ground.
2. DON'T bring glitter or feathers. Yes they're awesome. They're also incredibly hard to pick up off the ground.
3. It does get chilly at night sometimes, so bring some warm clothes. Fur encouraged!
4. The basin gets very windy sometimes, so bring ropes to tie everything down and know how to do it before you arrive.
6. The ground is very hard, much harder than the playa of Black Rock City. Make sure you have heavy duty tent stakes and something solid to beat them into the ground with. Overachievers bring hammer drills to drill out the holes for their stakes and save a lot time and sweat that way. Check out this guide to tent stakes made specifically for Bootleg Canyon.
There are Burner Guides available for all the things, from what to pack to how to come out of your shell and meet some weirdos.
The Event Horizon Memorial Day Weekend 2016 May 27nd 9am - 30th 1pm